I Do Believe In Angels – Michael’s Artificial Eye Story

I Do Believe In Angels – Michael’s Artificial Eye Story

It was in the summer of 1967 my two brothers and I were in the yard of our grandparents property. That day our beloved grandma took us shopping at the famous Webb’s City in down-town St. Petersburg, Florida. We each came home that fateful day with our very own bow & arrow set. They were fibreglass bows, 45lbs draw, complete with arrows!

Now at the time I was 9 yrs old going on 10. My other brothers were 2yrs apart, one 8 the other 12. We got out in the yard looking for something to shoot. My oldest brother was shooting at a birds nest up in an oak tree. At the time I was sitting on the ground enjoying a lap full of loquats off to one side. I was sitting there looking up watching when all of a sudden I felt something smash forcefully into my face!!! I felt my heart race wildly as I jumped up and ran into the house screaming scott shot me with an arrow. My grandpa was relaxed in his recliner watching the Lawrence Welk show. He just waved me on saying “go on in the bathroom Mikey and get a washrag!”  Well about 10 minutes later my dad rushed over in his convertible Starfire, Oldsmobile. He ran every red light to there! Got me to Palms of Pasadena Hospital, where they flew a specialist from texas and removed my eyeball.

Thats how I lost my right eye. I’ve had the same one all these years. The colors faded some but it suits me fine. The doctors told my parents upon looking over the xray of the path of the arrow as it entered my head that apprximately a fraction of an inch the arrow would have hit my brain, killing me or rendering me retarded for life. And yes I do believe in angels. The end.

M.J.Graham

13 Comments

1. Avatar for Shelli Williamson Shelli Williamson on June 18, 2012 at 12:06 pm

thanks for sharing…I am getting ready to go through the removal and having a eye made. God bless you!

2. Avatar for Kaye Constance Kaye Constance on October 2, 2012 at 8:19 pm

So sorry for you loss. My father was an Ocularist who practiced in Houston, Tx George Constance. He passed away 09/30/2012 and I am trying to get learn more about him through his patients. If you were one of them please let me know..
    Thanks!
    Kaye Constance Rutledge

• Avatar for Everett Zierk Everett Zierk on April 7, 2013 at 9:33 am

I lost and eye in a bad Auto Accident in San Jose in 65. He made a quick eye till I was able to get one made.
      It wasn’t till 1985 in Houston 20 years later I met him again and he made a proper fitted eye which I still have to day. I probably should get it replace.
      I am very sorry to hear of him passing away. I remember all his Alligators he had in his office. He was an early riser as I was I would get there about 6 0r 7 and we would visit while he was working on my eye. I am running out of space.

• Avatar for virginia hebert virginia hebert on April 24, 2013 at 6:54 am

I lost my left eye when I was three years old to liquid plumber. we are from Brownsville tx and the friends that knew my family told them to bring me to Houston because the best doctors are there, that is so true because of the damage that was done to my eye they had to remove the eye and put a prostetic eye I think your father George constance may have been my doctor.I know some things about him that only a patient would have known. please contact me I would like to know for sure. and I am sorry that your father has passed away.

• Avatar for Michelle Edwards Michelle Edwards on June 30, 2013 at 2:20 am

Hi Kaye,
      I am in Houston today so was thinking about your dad. He was my ocularist for 17 yrs. I am sorry to hear of him passing. I would very much like to talk with you. Like Virginia, I know things that only a patient would know. My email is Michellee61@gmail.com.
      Michelle

• Avatar for Debbie kologinczak Debbie kologinczak on December 24, 2013 at 5:40 am

My son lost his eye from an eye disease in the 5th grade. We were fortunate enough to be referred to George Constance. He made our son’s 1st eye, then when he was in the 9th grade, he dropped it down the sink before school, I called your Dad who was preparing to go to Mexico, but he waited for us that very morning & made our son a new eye. That was such a blessing, & we’ve tried to find him so many times but never could. I remember the collection of alligators he had, too, & we took him one to add to his collection. I think that was the deal he had with our son. We just learned today that your Father had passed away. My son, who is now almost 30, saw an ocularist in Austin that knew him, & told him we had lost such a wonderful, giving man, that did so much to help a little boy feel “normal”.

• Avatar for Raquel Cormier Raquel Cormier on May 23, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Hi kaye I was one of your dads patients since I wad 3. He was so nice and fun loving over the years he take pictures to see how much I had grown and I loved to look at his alligator collection. We usef to bring him a different alligator every time we came. I have been searching for him for some time now you can contact me anytime

3. Avatar for Antonino Deleza Antonino Deleza on June 13, 2013 at 12:42 am

George Constance and I had a good professional relationship in that I too am an ocularist in Houston, Texas. He was a good technician and a considerate individual. The stories that some of his former patients have shared with me picture him as a caring individual who took pride in his work and his sense of concern for each one of his patients. All of them shared his trademark collection of alligators!

George came across as a very private and sometimes distant individual. But he would end up been a very caring technician and person. He will be remembered for a long time.

Antonino Deleza

4. Avatar for John Robinson John Robinson on October 18, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Great information. Nice use of grammar. Keep up the good work.

5. Avatar for Jerry Hedges Jerry Hedges on December 7, 2013 at 5:11 am

I lost my eye to cancer in 1980. Mr. Constance made my artifical eye and it did wonders for my outlook on life. I still wear it today-Dec. 2013

Jerry Hedges

6. Avatar for Jay Andrews Jay Andrews on December 25, 2013 at 9:57 am

George made an eye for me when I was 6 years old. I saw him many times from 1977 through the early 1990’s. I found him to be very open and friendly. I often spent many hours in his office talking to him while he worked on other patients & me. George had a great sense of humor & could spin quite a story. My mother & father thought very highly of him. I would l would love to talk more with you about him.

7. Avatar for Julian Johnson Julian Johnson on July 2, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I was a patient of your dad since I was in the first grade he was so cool with his sunglasses and shirts, he was always chewing gum lol, I lost my eye in the beginning of my first grade year and was lucky enough to know him, his work was fantastic on the pupils, my mother would take me to the office and he would always say im gonna put that twinkle back in your eye before he would polish it, he was the best….its very sad to hear that hes passed, I haven’t seen many other prosthesis but im sure the workmanship is not as good, I still have my eye from twenty plus years ago

8. Avatar for Bill Atkinson Bill Atkinson on August 30, 2014 at 7:18 am

I met George in 1987 while on assignment at DOW Chemical. He did a great job creating my eye. His first comment was that he was PO’ed with the doctor at Clute for doing such a bad job with my ball and socket.
    Then he took me in like a homeless puppy and nurtured me back to health. I traveled all over the country since then, but I always made the time to visit George. His down home hospitality of the Cajun kind was just plan unforgettable. When my wife and I would visit, he would have some type of Cajun Creole meal ready for us to feast upon.
    George loved his wife and he talked about her all the time. He told me where to fish for flounder, shrimp, rock crabs, blue crabs. crawfish and other tasty seafood. George remind me of an old wise man that had nothing to say but nice things about every. But most of all about his alligators, because they meant the world to him.

Wheaher you know it or not George the the man that put the “O” in Ocularist George many years before we know what the word meant. George helped millions (and I mean millions) of people throughout this world and we all own him a lot.

LOVE YOU GEORGE…. and Save a bowl of gumbo for me.